August 12, 2011

FOIL

This is an algebra lesson.

To multiply two binomials (polynomials with two terms), you must use a distribution method called FOIL, which stands for First Outer Inner Last. Multiply the two first terms, then add the product of the two outer terms, then add the product of the two inner terms, then add the product of the two last terms.

To give this a more visual approach, here is what it looks like using letters instead of numbers:


Now let's see an example with actual numbers: 

2 comments:

  1. This is good for anyone studying this! I never knew there was a name for this method.

    I've even finished college maths and have just discovered something kids half my age probably know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We learned this all last year and spent like, half the year doing stuff with it. I thought that FOIL was really easy. And I love doing it, mostly cause I understand it.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment as anonymous! Don't worry, I don't have those annoying Captchas for my commenters.